Monday, JANUARY 1st, 2018 - HAPPY NEW YEAR!!
WELCOME TO THE YEAR OF DOG! Or, of the chunky mom's comeback!
I'm gonna share a secret with you all... I SUCK at staying on a healthy eating plan! Notice I don't call it a diet... because it's not. I never embark on an attempt at clean eating thinking of it like a diet, because I'm not actually doing it just to lose weight. Am I hoping to lose weight? Absolutely! But that's never my main goal. The hope is that I find a way to succeed at cooking and creating meal plans that will allow my family and I to be healthy and active - but it's never easy. We are a family that LOVES sugar and carbs... for my spouse it comes in the form of beer (LOTS of beer) and potato chips; my lil guy is much like his momma and will eat any form of sugar he can get this hands on at any time of day; and for myself, I have a massive weakness for super-carby breakfast foods and anything coated in chocolate. Oh, and I'm on the cider train as well, which in case you're wondering, is no less sugary than every other alcohol that I've tried to replace it with!
So the goal this time around is a blend of a low FODMAP and Paleo plan. At the same time my little dude and I are going gluten free, dairy free and low sugar; my hubbs is trying to slowly get back on the Whole 30 track. As amazing as that plan is, it's a bit too strict for me, so I just don't even attempt it anymore. Sorry, I just have to be real with myself or I'll fall off right away and that doesn't do any good!
Along with this eating plan, I'm hoping to get myself back into running and prepare for my 5th half marathon. I HAVE NOT run more than a 5k in the past 5 years, but that's not gonna stop me from trying! I have a love-hate relationship with running... as much as I hate running, I really enjoy the feeling of accomplishment and adrenaline I get when I'm done! And with all my years of experimenting with exercise and nutrition, I know there is nothing my body responds to more than regular running. I can easily lose 10 pounds in a few weeks if I run 10 miles a week. So the big exercising goal is to build back up to 3-4 miles, 3 times a week.
Starting this morning, I'll be doing T25 (love me some Shaun T) Monday through Saturday. And hoping to squeeze in an afternoon cardio session 2 or 3 times a week, and a late morning jog on Saturdays. Sundays will be lazy, so a day of rest (no exercising) and food prep for the week.
With this Sunday being New Year's Eve (and my son and I both recovering from colds), I started food prep on Monday, the 1st of 2018!
So - here's the 1st post of big attempt of breaking the chunky mom mold:
Monday January 1st, shopping and food prep for the week:
Breakfasts: frozen fruit, bananas, coconut flakes, coconut milk, blueberries (smoothie bowls)
eggs, bacon, sausage, peppers (egg cupcakes)
apples, pears, sausage, sweet potatoes (hash)
Dinners: Chicken breasts, orange, lemon, lime, olive oil, chicken broth - in one bag
Chicken breasts, coconut aminos (teriyaki), pineapple, onions, carrots - in bag
Beef stew meat, onions, carrots, celery, potatoes, butternut squash, seasonings - in bag
Sirloin tip roast, sweet potatoes, carrots - in bag
Pork chops, onions, garlic, squash, sweet potatoes, apples, balsamic - in bag
Lunches are leftovers every day, or mixed bag salads with not much dressing.
I also purchased some ground beef and corn tortillas, coleslaw and avocados for Taco Tuesday!
And more ground beef and potatoes for extra options like Shepherd's Pie or meatballs, simple comfort foods when nothing else sounds good.
All of this, food for more than a week, was purchased at WinCo for less than $100 for a family of 3.
AWESOME SAUCE! Quite literally! ;-)
WELCOME TO THE YEAR OF DOG! Or, of the chunky mom's comeback!
I'm gonna share a secret with you all... I SUCK at staying on a healthy eating plan! Notice I don't call it a diet... because it's not. I never embark on an attempt at clean eating thinking of it like a diet, because I'm not actually doing it just to lose weight. Am I hoping to lose weight? Absolutely! But that's never my main goal. The hope is that I find a way to succeed at cooking and creating meal plans that will allow my family and I to be healthy and active - but it's never easy. We are a family that LOVES sugar and carbs... for my spouse it comes in the form of beer (LOTS of beer) and potato chips; my lil guy is much like his momma and will eat any form of sugar he can get this hands on at any time of day; and for myself, I have a massive weakness for super-carby breakfast foods and anything coated in chocolate. Oh, and I'm on the cider train as well, which in case you're wondering, is no less sugary than every other alcohol that I've tried to replace it with!
So the goal this time around is a blend of a low FODMAP and Paleo plan. At the same time my little dude and I are going gluten free, dairy free and low sugar; my hubbs is trying to slowly get back on the Whole 30 track. As amazing as that plan is, it's a bit too strict for me, so I just don't even attempt it anymore. Sorry, I just have to be real with myself or I'll fall off right away and that doesn't do any good!
Along with this eating plan, I'm hoping to get myself back into running and prepare for my 5th half marathon. I HAVE NOT run more than a 5k in the past 5 years, but that's not gonna stop me from trying! I have a love-hate relationship with running... as much as I hate running, I really enjoy the feeling of accomplishment and adrenaline I get when I'm done! And with all my years of experimenting with exercise and nutrition, I know there is nothing my body responds to more than regular running. I can easily lose 10 pounds in a few weeks if I run 10 miles a week. So the big exercising goal is to build back up to 3-4 miles, 3 times a week.
Starting this morning, I'll be doing T25 (love me some Shaun T) Monday through Saturday. And hoping to squeeze in an afternoon cardio session 2 or 3 times a week, and a late morning jog on Saturdays. Sundays will be lazy, so a day of rest (no exercising) and food prep for the week.
With this Sunday being New Year's Eve (and my son and I both recovering from colds), I started food prep on Monday, the 1st of 2018!
So - here's the 1st post of big attempt of breaking the chunky mom mold:
Monday January 1st, shopping and food prep for the week:
Breakfasts: frozen fruit, bananas, coconut flakes, coconut milk, blueberries (smoothie bowls)
eggs, bacon, sausage, peppers (egg cupcakes)
apples, pears, sausage, sweet potatoes (hash)
Dinners: Chicken breasts, orange, lemon, lime, olive oil, chicken broth - in one bag
Chicken breasts, coconut aminos (teriyaki), pineapple, onions, carrots - in bag
Beef stew meat, onions, carrots, celery, potatoes, butternut squash, seasonings - in bag
Sirloin tip roast, sweet potatoes, carrots - in bag
Pork chops, onions, garlic, squash, sweet potatoes, apples, balsamic - in bag
Lunches are leftovers every day, or mixed bag salads with not much dressing.
I also purchased some ground beef and corn tortillas, coleslaw and avocados for Taco Tuesday!
And more ground beef and potatoes for extra options like Shepherd's Pie or meatballs, simple comfort foods when nothing else sounds good.
All of this, food for more than a week, was purchased at WinCo for less than $100 for a family of 3.
AWESOME SAUCE! Quite literally! ;-)


Comments
Post a Comment